Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Woof

Well. Tomorrow I head to NC to take my WFR. Pronounced 'woofer' - like how a dog might "woof" but with an rrrr on the end. WFR.

WFR is short for Wilderness First Responder. I'll learn how to take care of folks with medical emergencies in a wilderness setting. I've been reading up with Derek's old textbooks to get ready, and what I've learned so far is that what you 'do' is pretty frequently 'evacuate.' I guess I was kind of expecting there to be some magic tricks or something to save a life in the woods. Not so much.

Anyway, I've been studying. I made flash cards. I've been reading up to get ready. I've packed pretty much all my clothes so I'm prepared for any situation - rain, snow, sun, indoor, outdoor, etc. I've packed a whole box of food. I've printed directions. I've got road maps and trail maps. I've got backpacks in multiple sizes. I'm good to go. I have everything I need. I am insanely prepared for this.

And yet I'm not.

I feel almost sickly anxious about the whole thing. What if I fail? Or what if I don't have what it takes to be a medical responder? What if I freeze, freak out, panic, spazz?? I mean, I know we won't have any real situations during the course. But still.

What if I fail?


No comments:

Post a Comment