Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Training for Indian Creek

Today was my second training session for Indian Creek. Derek has been coming up with work-outs based on the Mountain Athlete program for our training.

Here's how it went:

First, ran a 6 minute 45 second mile - new personal record!
Warm Up = 5 sets of the following
  • 8 foot cuts on the bouldering wall (foot cut = get yourself on the overhanging bouldering wall, let your feet come off the holds, then with controlled movement put your feet back on the holds)
  • 20 seconds calf raises
  • 25 seconds tip toes
  • 8 slasher-to-halo's with a 15 lb weight
The work out = 6 sets of the following
  • 3 minutes in the crack machine
  • 45 seconds chair
  • 45 seconds plank
  • 8 burpees
Cool down = ran another mile, this time in about 8 minutes

All and all, I feel pretty beat up. The crack machine was set to slightly wider than hand size for me, so I had to cup pretty hard to stay in. By the end of it, I was only staying in for maybe 15 seconds at a time before falling out. But the thing is - I had a LOT of fun with this workout! It wasn't boring, it was insanely challenging but still achievable. I feel worked.

Also, funny note, I worked out in my sports bra since we had the bouldering room to ourselves- this gave me ridiculous motivation to keep good form b/c anytime I didn't have good form my abs would arch out and look extremely icky. But when I had good form, it was like, YES, I'm gonna get me some smoking hot abs.

It's the little things, right?

Here are some pictures of the crack machine, just for funsies. Kinda scary looking, eh?

No falling allowed!



Have you ever heard of Mountain Athlete? If so, what do you think of it?

Off to bed now - we're going climbing at Sandrock tomorrow and I'm going to lead Thin in the Middle! (and hopefully not sprain an ankle in the process...)

1 comment:

  1. This thing looks like a medieval torture device!! I'm so glad you married someone that can keep up with you! The only thing I'd be good for is to sit there and take pictures of all of this....wowzers! You guys are hardcore!

    ReplyDelete