Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Water Hates Me

Did you know that swimming is really hard? Seriously, I paddled, flailed, floundered for a mere 20 minutes and thought I was going to drown from exhaustion. I kept getting water under my goggles, up my nose, in my mouth. Ew. And to top it all off, I was the slooooowest swimmer in any of the lanes. Embarrassing.There I was gasping away like I was struggling for dear life while others glided by at much greater speeds.

Ugh.

I also had some slight awkwardness with my swimsuit. I don't really have an athletic swimsuit right now, so I wore one of those tie-in-the-back numbers. Don't worry, it didn't come untied, thank goodness, but the front kept catching water and sagging open with each forward stroke. I had to swim facing a wall the whole time to avoid flashing folks, and I had to stop frequently to 'adjust' myself. It's was okay, because I needed the breaks to catch my failing breath. 

Overall, the whole thing was pretty depressing. But I'm not giving up. If I'm this horrible at swimming, I can really only get better (I hope...) and it is definitely excellent cardio for me. After my swim, I climbed for a little while then went home to eat a huge healthy dinner and went to bed early. My 'rest day' wore me out!

Today I'm feeling mostly refreshed and ready for my 5 mile run this afternoon. My time goal for the run is 40 minutes. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment