Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

COLORADO!!!

So clearly, I have lost some of my blog posting momentum.... here is the skinny on my vacation:

I got to spend a glorious ten days with my love in Colorado!! I flew out to see Derek on July 3rd and came back on July 11th. We met up with Courtney and Chad to share a wonderful week of vacation. I'm sorry, there are no pictures - Derek's camera finally got fed up with being toted around the mountain tops and jumped itself into a creek where it promptly died. Poor thing didn't know how to swim. Anywho - the week in brief...

Saturday, July 3rd - flew in, arrived around 7:30; crashed with my love
Sunday, July 4th - Spent the day with Courtney and Chad - Climbed at Garden of the Gods, where strangers posted our pictures on facebook just because we were climbers. I also actually led a route. Insane, yes I know. I think we went out to eat at a local Brewery. Well, I know we did (we went to the Trinity Brewing Company), I just don't remember which day. Anyway - whenever we did that, it was awesome. My beer tasted like coffee. Sounds gross, but it was yummy. We also attempted to see fireworks at the Air Force Academy but decided to torture Derek by watching Eclipse instead. I know, he really, really loves me.

Monday, July 5th - Derek and I drove out to Rocky Mountain National Park and hiked in six + miles to sleep on a rock at the base of the north ridge of Spear Head... well, we didn't actually sleep much. Apparently it's really hard to sleep at altitude. Also, it never got really dark. The stars were super amazing though. Got to see them all night. Also, it was cold and windy. Snow and rocks. See why there was not much sleep?

Tuesday, July 6th - climbed Spearhead. FREAKING AWESOME. Scrambled back down the side of Spear Head. FREAKING SCARY. Imagine trying to skate down marbles with boulders that may move and crush your limbs while the nearest road is over six miles away with about 5,000 feet of altitude change and that's not even close to the hospital... but we did survive just fine. Went out to eat at the local climbers' Mexican food joint and be back in our tent before a rain storm hit. We stayed at a super sweet campground in the park. Slept through the storm.

Picture of Spearhead in the winter by Kane Photography

Wednesday, July 7th - Woke up to more rain. Climbing plans canceled. Drove in to Boulder and went to the coolest tea house ever. Drove back to Colorado Springs. Met up with Courtney and Chad. Took showers. I think this was the day when we went to eat at the Front Rage BBQ joint? Fairly positive we went salsa dancing on this day too. Again, I remember what we did, just not what day or what order. We did a lot!

Thursday, July 8th - Went for a hike. First half was beautiful, full of good conversation and easy walking on a glorious terrain. Second half... rain, hail, lightning, and four miles of running back to the car.

Friday, July 9th - Derek, Courtney, Chad & I got to play on the challenge course which was super duper fun. Giant swing, giant tower, lots of cute bunnies hopping about. Much fun. Then Chadly gave me an awesome haircut and we ran out of together time. Derek and I drove back up to Rocky Mountain National Park to camp out for our early start on Saturday...

Saturday, July 10th - Derek and I were supposed to get an alpine start to climb Hallett's Peak, but the park rangers did not approve of us sleeping in the car at the welcome center so we had to relocate in the middle of the night. We still managed to be up and moving at 3:30, made it to the climb on time to get started. But we kinda started on the wrong climb and had to bail. Since that failed, we tried to go climbing at Boulder Canyon but then the weather blew in and we had to bail. So then we tried to go back to the tea house, but there was no parking so we had to bail. So we just gave up and went home. We did have a nice dinner at the Olive Garden :)

Sunday, July 11th - Flew back to AL

That's the vacation! Sorry it took me a week and a half to post it. Post vacation life is insane. Will post about that later :)

1 comment:

  1. It sounds amazing! I'm so glad you had a good time! Pictures of the haircut? I'm so glad you and Derek got to spend time together <3 Too bad there are no pictures; I would have loved to see some of those things. Oh, and next time you're going to be camping on a very cold, windy, snowy, and high mountain ridge - bring a werewolf ;)

    ReplyDelete