Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

To Do Lists... Meh

Monday has come waaaay too fast. I managed to get a lot done this weekend, but not everything I had hoped to. The highlight of the weekend was definitely climbing at Sandrock with my brother-in-law, Garrett. Sandrock is in better shape that I was expecting. Check out my post "Save Sandrock" for the back story on this or on Facebook, check out the group "Save Sandrock."

The construction has not blocked the cliff access and there is still plenty of parking. Not many climbers braved the heat and the potential access issues, so we didn't have to deal with the usual weekend crowds. Garrett and I started the day at Knob Wall to warm up. We met a friendly family there top-roping the route to the left. After that, we scrambled up the back side of the Holiday Block (i think) using the easy 5.5 crack to get up and check out our top-roping options. Instead of top-roping we rappelled back down and decided to jump on Kennel Club. Garrett & I both led it - this was Garrett's first lead ever and he did a stellar job.

Even though this was my second time leading Kennel Club, and I had cruised my first lead on it, I pretty much hang-dogged the route. I was pretty disappointed in myself until I tried it again on top-rope and barely managed to do it without falling. I didn't realize how out of shape I am, and that I was actually leading at my limit. Made me feel better about being such a pansy on lead :) Any-who, I need to get into better climbing shape pronto so Derek and I can climb cool things when I go visit him this summer. One more thing to add to my never-ending to-do list!

Here are some of the newer pictures of the construction at Sandrock

No comments:

Post a Comment