Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Cross your fingers...

Today is the deadline for an essay scholarship competition. The scholarship will provide the winner with funds to attend the 2010 Alabama Health Libraries Association (ALHeLA) Annual Meeting in Birmingham. I submitted my essay for the contest last week.

If I win, this will be my first ever professional conference - and I am soooo excited about the possibility. I would love the chance to network with other librarians, attend one of the classes, visit the Lister Hill Library, and listen to the speaker - Dr. Hendricks.

The class I want to attend is also super relevant to one of my work projects, and the research I am going to be doing next semester. It concerns website usability and accessibility, and it is being given by the National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM). They are a pretty legit organization and have one of the most accessible websites I've seen so far in my studies. I am confident that these folks know a great deal on the topic, and that I would learn a lot in this class.

This conference would also be my first time actually visiting Birmingham, which is kind of insane since I live only about an hour away from the city and drive through it on nearly a monthly basis. I hope I get the chance to change that.

I'm getting ahead of myself though. I don't know if I won, and if I didn't win then I won't be attending the conference.... so... cross your fingers for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment